Thursday, December 9, 2010

Apple Pie Inside Out

Hey there!  I’m glad you could make it back!  You know, not many have been coming, you should invite a few people along with you next time.  Would you like come coffee?  Some apple pie?  Well, here’s what I’ve got.

I have no idea what I did here.  I don’t even know if it’s something already in existence.  I mean, it’s nothing really that extraordinary or genius.  Apples, cinnamon, sugar and then a fried pie crust bottom.  It’s the handicapped kitchen folks, I had to do what I could to get some kind of apple-ish fall dessert. 

IMG_9926

What I had originally intended for this quick-whip-up, hurry-get-something-sweet-in-my-mouth-before-I-eat-your-fingers, I-love-apples, I-want-American-cable-television recipe was a granola bar sort of base.  But lo, in our cupboards I only had the very fine oatmeal of Peru we call avena…  It looks very much like flour actually.  Here’s a comparison.

IMG_9894 IMG_9901

Which is which?  You win a prize if you can tell!  What’s the prize? What’s the prize?  A pat on the back!  Good job.

My measurements for this recipe are going to be… well… round-about.

Apple Pie Inside Out

Serves 2

Apple Stuff
2 large apples or 3-4 medium or small apples
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Pie Base
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
at least 5 tablespoons butter
at least 3 tablespoons ice cold water
pinch of salt
oil for pan frying

The big handicap in this recipe, or rather the idea I had to get around for my original idea, was that I didn’t have a oven.  I only had the range top available.  So, with the pie crust bottom I had to get creative and decided to just fry the darn sucker.  Who did a little grease ever hurt… except for Kirstie Alley? 

I started out by peeling all the apples and throwing them into a pan with the butter and then sprinkle over top the sugar and cinnamon.  I put it on low so it will caramelize and soften up real nice.  I like my apple pie filling soft soft soft.  While that’s cooking low I started the pie base-thing.  I bet I sound real trustworthy, using terms like… pie base-thing.

IMG_9891

IMG_9918 IMG_9921

Mix the flour, oatmeal and salt in a bowl together and start cutting in the butter with a fork or pastry mixer.  I put at least 5 tablespoons butter because I don’t know exactly the measurement you should use, just cut in the butter until you have what looks like very course crumbs.  Then mix in the ice cold water with your fork.  The key is to only use enough water until it forms a firm ball, that should be 3 tablespoons.  It isn’t horribly important to get the right water ratio right, because you’re not going to be rolling it out like a pie dough. 

IMG_9903 IMG_9908
IMG_9910 IMG_9915

Split dough in half and you can form them into patties in your hands.  Then just throw them on the liiiiiiightly oiled pan and let them brown nicely on each side.  It might take about five minutes on each side.  You don’t want to cook them fast… maybe I shouldn’t use the word fry then, huh?  Cook them in a pan on low heat until browned on each side.  There, is that better?  Seesh, you are so exigente (demanding)!

Then, when you’re base is done put it on a plate and serve the apple filling stuff over it.  If it’s not as syrupy as you’d like it then throw some more sugar and butter in there.  Not enough cinnamon?  Flavor to taste and you’re good to go! 

I hope you like the handicapped creation! 

2 comments:

  1. I love apple pie! I would make this a la mode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MarisI'm not particularly a big fan of ice cream with my pie, but with this that sounds GREAT! Give it a go!

    ReplyDelete